Monday, May 14, 2012

True North

{Hello! If you are visiting from Becky's Blog you can find my latest Project Life Posts here and here.}

Over the last year I've noticed that I personally don't do well with "holidays" or my birthday for that matter. Celebrating the kids or my husband I LOVE but my own birthday or standard holidays I just wake up in a funk the day of.

On Saturday I could feel the funk trying to creep its way into my heart with Mother's Day on Sunday and I didn't want it to. So on Sunday morning when my husband asked what I wanted to do I went with the small voice in my heart instead of the Hallmark version in my head.

IMG_1780 copy 

We skipped church and had a lazy PJ morning at home. We did not go to a fancy restaurant but instead had laid back meals at home courtesy of my uber-talented cook, ahem husband.

IMG_1783 copy 

No chores were done and I sat at my craft desk guilt free to work on Project Life when Travis was either in the wrap or napping. I indulged and watched Grey's Anatomy & Scandal while nursing Travis and holding him maybe a little too long so I could finish the episodes.

IMG_1785 copy 

Much of the day was spent just being Mom. Breaking up fights, coping with Owen's tantrum's (he's discovered he's TWO), cleaning up paint that Garrett got on our patio furniture/patio/puppy Ellie, figuring out how to work in a shower even if it meant it was at 5:00PM.

IMG_1789 copy 

Attempting to take a picture with the three boys. I went into it knowing that the boys wouldn't be clean or coordinated or well behaved. I leaned into the chaos in order to see the beauty in real life, right now.

IMG_1791 copy 

And you know what, it was perfect. I had a great day.

IMG_1793 copy

By listening to the small voice in my heart I found my true north and I was able to soak in the day with my family. Letting go of the Hallmark version in my head let me see that perfectly imperfect was a true reflection of where we are right now and celebrating in this way was exactly what I needed to have gratitude and joy fill my heart instead of the funk.

I share all of this because I believe all too often it is easy for casual observers of life to see only the polished, perfected version. I am passionate about being real and hope that I share my life in an unfiltered version so that we all know that we are not alone in this journey. Unless of course your life is perfect and then all I've provided today is comedic relief through my series of pictures with my boys. :)

I hope you have a beautiful day.

Monica

7 comments:

Basement Stamper said...

I love your imperfections and honesty and knowing I'm not the only one that feels that way at times. I began with the ho-hum kind of day as well and as the day went on it only got better for me and I need to let go of that.

Melanie said...

love seeing you with all your boys. :)

Jayne said...

AWESOME photo shoot!!!

Unknown said...

I had a pajama day too and it was perfect.

Anonymous said...

You look good - three boys suits you!

TERIBERI'S CREATIONS said...

This post made me smile because you know what....it's REAL!!!! You look fabulous and I love all the pictures!! Life's Imperfections are just that girlie and it's what real life is all about!! HUGS, Teri (God bless you and your beautiful family!!!)

April said...

just stopping by to say I miss you ;-) I'm sure you're busy being mom to three, but wanted you to know you were being thought about. Love seeing your instagram tweets every so often. Hope you're getting some sleep at night . . .