Friday, June 3, 2011

Closing a Chapter

Yesterday, a note popped into my inbox that read "Today at 2:45pm there will be a lowering of the flag ceremony outside the intermediate building. At the end of the ceremony, Mr. Lemons will dismiss the entire school for summer break." Immediately I heard the melody school's out for summer and just knew I had to be there.

I wanted to be there when this chapter of life came to an end. It feels like my life is a series of closings & openings these days and instead of being overwhelmed by them I am trying my best to honor them.


IMG_5002 PSE

It feels like only yesterday, but was truly eight months ago, when the boy who made me a Momma became a Kindergartner.


IMG_0928




IMG_0758

Yesterday he walked home a 1st grader. No longer do I identify him by age but now by grade. When did that happen?


IMG_4983




IMG_5046 PSE



Last night a friend whose daughter will be promoted to the 6th grade today was telling me that she remembers Kindergarten like it was just yesterday and had no idea how they were already at the point of saying goodbye to Elementary. She confirmed my sinking suspicion that if I blink, I just might miss all of this. My quick decision to attend the last minutes of Kindergarten was affirmed in my heart. I am so fortunate that Mitch was able to be there as well.


IMG_5025 PSE



A few months ago Mitch created an opportunity that has allowed him to pick up Garrett after school everyday. This is an arrangement that will carry into the first grade & I couldn't be more pleased. I wish it was me, but I actually think this is better. I have witnessed their relationship grow even stronger and it makes my heart happy. I truly believe this connection is pivotal in a young boys life.

It is also perfect timing. Over the year we have seen Garrett come into more of an awareness, read obsession, of sports and sadly I am completely worthless in this arena. Mitch on the other hand rocks.


IMG_5029 PSE



This year I have had many things affirmed & learned quite a few lessons along the way as a mother. I think the most important lesson from the year was summed up by his teacher yesterday "He is such a sweet boy & was so special to me this year." With that, and her hug, I almost lost it.

New experiences brought by Kindergarten revealed many of Garrett's special gifts and as with anything new in life we also had our fair share of growing experiences. Probably, more for me than anyone. Just when I think I am on steady ground in my mothering experience a shift forces me to stretch, grow and evolve.

When I look back, I look back with a happy heart. I adore the boy Garrett continues to grow into. We are so fortunate to have found a small community within this large city that truly does open their arms & embrace your child. It makes this big city that much smaller. My prayer for Garrett is this.








I am so very grateful for the teachers that touched his life this last school year to team with me to give Garrett the best experience possible. He loved every minute and we finished the school year with the same happy heart & thrist for learning that we entered with. That for me, more than his wonderful marks, was the measure of success.


IMG_5048 PSE

Thank you for sharing this journey with me.

lovemon

1 comment:

Michie said...

My daughter's last day of Kindergarten is June 27th...then I'll have a first grader too! I know how you are feeling. I think it is great that you went with your gut and went to the end of classes with him. You never know what is going to happen in the future, so it is wonderful to take each moment you can as it comes. Have a great summer with your first grader!