Thursday, December 18, 2008

Did you know?

That a week from today we will wake up and it will be Christmas morning?

When the realization hit me this morning I had this urge to photograph my surroundings. I woke up this morning with such a lofty to do list before work but all I could do is snap away. I was so excited about one picture that I had to switch out the banner.

The piece of the nativity scene photographed in the banner was my grandmothers. It is one of my most treasured possesions. I have vivid memories of the day after Christmas my mother & grandmother off to shop the sales. My grandmother would always come back with more Christmas decorations for the next year even though they always spent the holiday with us. I like to think that she did this because she simply loved having these things around her before Christmas Day.

When my grandmother passed away, I received all her decorations and in my home I have a tree adorned with all her treasures. She was not a fancy woman and lived in what some would consider humble surroundings and yet she had these treasures.

I think my favorite thing about the nativity scene photographed is that you can see where Joseph's head has been glued back on. Like I said, my grandmother was a simple woman and I can just imagine her saying "Well, let's fix that" and just like that - done.

How I wish I could have had this conversation with her. I would love to know so much more about these treasures I've inherited.

This regret is why I just love the gift I've given my surviving Grandmother this Christmas. I received a card from her this week that described her physical reaction to my love notes and her gratitude for the time I took to share with her my love.

The greatest gift we can give is truly our love & time. This year I've really let this start to seep in. I'll be honest, I love to give & receive gifts of the material kind. However, I feel a change in me this year that is rocking me to the core.

I've rambled long enough & still have that lofty to do list. I'll leave you with yet another favorite Christmas song of mine and few snapshots of my house while my loves still slumber.







One last item. I LOVE my new lens from my soul sister. It was a Birthday/Christmas present which means I get to use it now. The shots from today were taken with it at night with no lights on. What a great lens! Oh I almost forgot - nothing was done in photoshop. These shots are all straight out of the camera.

lovemon

2 comments:

Lee said...

What a wonderful post. Thanks for sharing your treasures. Love the wreath picture. Enjoy the lens, you've already mastered it!

Tara said...

Thanks for visiting my blog... What a lovely photo for your banner! I love that lens as well - I'm still learning, but I love what I've learned so far! Enjoy! Merry Christmas!