Thursday, December 18, 2008

7 Days to Christmas Quilting Adventure

If you want your rag quilt to have a pattern then this is your next step.

However, several of the quilts I've done over the years have not and this step has been skipped. I've found that it is easier to work on the pattern before you start sewing especially if the back of the quilt is not a solid color. Using the template helps you ensure that you have the right amount of squares and that you sew the right pairs together.

Here is the back of the quilt.


Here is the front of the quilt.

Once I had my template set I went back to my squares and separated everything based on fabric so I could count and make sure I was set. For a few of the fabrics I had to go back to my scraps and cut a few extra squares.


Now you can start putting your fabric sandwhiches together. If your quilt does not have a pattern then this is where you start after you've got everything cut.

Step One: Lay a backing square right side down.


Step Two: Place your batting in the middle of the backing.


Step Three: Place your front fabric right side up on top of the batting.


I like to repeat this process and make stacks of ten. Once I finish putting these all together I'll be ready to start sewing in groups of ten. For me this makes it easy to fit this in through out the day.


Here is a stack of ten.


lovemon

No comments: