Friday, September 24, 2010

Show & Tell

I am super excited to share with you what I've been working on during my maternity leave. Of course you guys now about this little project of mine. Its been such a joy spending the last four months getting to know Mr. Owen.


In the moments in between I have been working on a big brother quilt for Garrett. This is my first large quilt & I'm pretty happy with the way it turned out.


I used the same fabric (Robert Kauffman, by designer Monaluna from the lines Metro Market and Mingle) & pattern as I did for Owen's quilt. However, the result was very different.

I adore the movement in the quilt. For the first time I used a quarter inch foot on my machine and it made all the difference in my piecing. I credit that & the bigger pieces for the top actually resembling the pattern :)


I started to quilt with straight lines and then ripped it all out. Instead I went with stair steps that followed the front. So happy I decided to start again.


I went through the same process with the binding. I had about a quarter of it done & hated it. So, I ripped it out & followed this tutorial. Again so glad I took the time to redo it when I saw I wasn't happy.


There are two things I learned from this process. First, I will get better with every quilt I make. I can already see such improvement over Owen's stroller quilt. Two, this is a slow going process for me. I think I'm going to enjoy the slower long term pace of these projects.

I've been working on another quilt top for Owen to use as a playmat & have plans to cut fabric for a quilt for Mitch so expect to see more quilting craftiness in the future.

Have a beautiful weekend!
lovemon

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Ohmigosh, Owen is so big! And handsome (but we already knew that)! Loving the quilt. I'm so impressed. I tried making a quilt once. 13 years ago. It's still sitting around somewhere, unquilted. Sigh.

Barb said...

What a gorgeous quilt! I am SO not patient with my crafting... which is why scrapbooking is perfect for me. I have no attention span and an inability to follow through. Luckily, most of my pages can be done in one sitting. Two at most. :)
And yes, Owen is getting so big and handsome! :)