Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Working the System

Library of Memories that is....

So, I've talked about how taking the Library of Memories class released me from the chains of chronologically scrapbooking. Since I don't scrap every picture in chronological order you may be wondering how I decide what to scrap & where the layouts live.

The basic premise is that everything in your life can fall into four categories:

  • All About Us
  • People We Love
  • Things We Do (I think of this as Things We Love)
  • Places We Go

Accordingly, I have four American Crafts albums for each of the above categories. What I love about these groupings is that there really aren't any hard & fast rules as to how something fits into a category. Because of that I am able to see multiple stories that a photograph is telling.

Now, if you are thinking that four albums may be cumbersome for your family to look through to see your most recent layouts I have a solution for you. I have one album that sits on an end table that I put all my recent layouts. When it gets full I simply move them to their respective homes. The American Crafts albums are great because you can fit any size page protector in there. Right now my 12 x 12 layouts live with my 8 1/2 x 11 layouts and I plan on mixing in some 8 x 8 and 6 x 6.

So, back to the system. In the below layout I could have easily focused on the fact that Mitch loves to fish and with that twist put this in Things We Love. Or, I could have focused on the fact that Mitch grew up fishing because his father loves to fish and with that twist put this in All About Us. I instead decided to focus on where Mitch was fishing because this is a spot at his parents that we frequent.





How cool is that? But, what I love the absolute most about this system is that otherwise I would probably only be scrapping Garrett because as mothers we tend to see our children first and foremost. As it is, even with the system, most of my layouts are centered around Garrett. That one dimensional peek into our life is not the legacy I want to leave behind. I want to make sure I honor all aspects of my world because together they comprise who I am.

I am hoping to get examples of the other categories out soon because I want to fully make my case for you to sign up for the class before registration closes!

lovemon

2 comments:

StudioB said...

Yes it definately helps you see who or what is lacking in your picture taking. And forces you to scrap something other than your adorable children
TracyBzz

thekreativelife said...

I'm loving your posts on the LOM class! I've signed up for this years class already and I can't wait to get started.

I've already weeded through some of my digital photos, signed up for Shutterfly (and received my first package of prints), and am starting to get geared up for the organizing!

Have I mentioned that I can't WAIT! lol

Are you taking it again this year? Would love to "see" you in class!