Wednesday, October 15, 2008

YIPPEEEEEE

Today I received an email from Wendy Smedley saying

We found this layout on the gallery and we would like to publish your “Seeing Things”layout in our photo play special issue that will be on sale in March.

I am oh so excited. Tonight I was pulling everything to send back to Wendy and discovered that this was actually not only my first ever digital layout but also my very first submission to Simple Scrapbooks for the Photo Play Issue.

I've had to pull the layout from the blog but if you remember this is the one of Garrett practically jumping out of the frame at the driving range.

I couldn't help but smile when I re-read the note that went with the submission.

Dated July 25, 2008 6:25AM

We all have pictures that when triaging them we just can't pull the delete trigger. For some reason the shot is special and we hold out hope that somehow it can be saved.

With a toddler that is increasingly dodging out of the frame but making the cutest faces because he thinks he is so funny hiding from the camera I am quickly accumulating several of these "unusable" pictures. While at home a few weeks ago my son was sick and we had an abudance of couch time together. While I am a fan of Higglytown Heros, Mickey Mouse Clubhouse and an assortment of toddler eye candy there is only so much a Mom can take.

With my trusty laptop in well my lap, I decided to dabble in digital scrapbooking for the first time. What I love about this page is that is was simple in execution, extremely thrifty and I saved a shot I loved. Why do I love this shot? It tells the real story. I have a series of others shots from this afternoon but they are all about the event, this one is about the moment and I tried to have my journaling convey that.

What was so fun about this was embracing the imperfection in my photograph and I was really able to focus on my journaling because I didn't have too many design elements to worry about. This is my very first submission so I sincerely appreciate the time you taken just to look.

I am so Blessed that my dreams are coming true.

lovemon

7 comments:

Noreen Smith said...

Hurrah for you!!!! Funny...I just decided to submit a couple of layouts to Canadian Scrapbooker Magazine at the last minute (My first submission-YIKES!) and after I did I thought to myself..."I better go check Monica's blog to see if she has heard anything!" Congrats girl you are on a roll...and your layouts really are special! Well done! I look forward to seeing them in print!
Noreen

Ps...I didn't take "Design Your Life" in the end...I took "Giving Well 08" and am feeling like I am already one step up on the holidays! Take care!

thekreativelife said...

Congratulations Monica! How WONDERFUL for you! I always love your layouts and you deserve to be recognized! I'm looking forward to seeing more of your stuff in print. You GO girl!

Anonymous said...

YIPPEE! I am excited for you! It is cool to know that you have been rewarded for putting yourself out there! - although, I can't say I am all that surprised........ I already knew you were great.
Way to go. Lisa P

Jennifer said...

Hurray!! I'm so happy for you! I can't wait to see your LO in print!

Jennifer (JenniSIS from BPS)

Lee said...

Yay, so thrilled for you, Monica. Can't wait to see it in print. Have a delightful weekend!

Ruth Ayres said...

Yeah you! I have goosebumps reading your post and a smile -- just for you. Keep on, keeping on, my friend. :)
Ruth

Kim said...

Awesome! Good for you!