Tuesday, November 8, 2011

The Best of Now

I love Thanksgiving and the opportunity it provides to be mindful about giving thanks. Not to mention that it is also my birthday month which always puts a smile on my face.

On November 1st I found myself at the Apple store at the mercy of the Genius Bar to see if there was any hope for my iPhone 4 that Owen had decided needed to take a swim in the toilet on Halloween. While my phone was still under warranty, a dip in the toilet was not a covered event. Despite that Erin appeared with a brand new phone, free of charge in less than 20 minutes. Being that this is my work phone I was prepared to pay the replacement cost and write it off as the cost of having a toddler in the house. To say I was grateful is an understatement.

I found myself sharing my thankfulness with the worlds of Twitter and Facebook. Little did I know that there was a trend occuring where lots of my friends were recognizing and expressing what they were thankful for that very same day. To be honest, I didn't notice it until the second day when I myself was still giddy about my lunch date with Mitch and again shared it with the interwebs.



best of now



I then decided that everyday leading up to Thanksgiving I would commit to being aware of my world around me and pick the thing, person, event that brought the most joy to my heart. Some days I will share this publicly, others not. I jumped into this without a plan of any sort except that they would all be captured in Project Life. I love that I have a place for something like this and I'm not adding another mini album or project to my list. Yesterday I decided that my gratitude could not be captured in a snippet but instead was a larger story. Before I forget the details, I want to capture them here.

November 8, 2011

Today was a windows down, radio up kind of day for me, the best kind. After a restful night of sleep the crankiness of the day before disappeared and I started my morning with an apology for being difficult the night before. There was nothing spectacular or eventful during the day but it was simply the first day in a really long time that I was at peace. Owen & I walked into a tidy house with dinner on the stove, thank you Mitch. After our early dinner Mitch and Garrett went to a basketball clinic and Owen and I had one on one time. It was glorious. With a full belly and my full attention he was the happiest little boy. We had an amazing few hours of quality time that ended with the sweetest snuggles before bed. For this I am thankful.


I'm hoping to stay up tonight after I put the kids down so that I can pull together last week's Project Life and see all these bits of gratitude come together. Thank you for taking time to read.

Monica

No comments: