Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Five Years

ago I met my son for the first time.


With every passing year I marvel at how much he has changed, how much I have changed as his mother, how much we have changed as a family.



This year his birthday nearly brings me to tears everytime I think about it. I cannot believe my baby is five years old.

This year feels monumental.

Perhaps its the fact that this will be his first birthday party outside of our home. Perhaps its the fact that this will be his last "Celebration of Life", a tradition that allows him to celebrate at his school. Perhaps its the fact that I know this will be the last year he will be surrounded by friends that he has cultivated over the last three years. Perhaps its the fact that I know in a year's time he will change even more than he has the last five years.

He is on the verge of an entirely new existence. This coming year he will find himself surrounded by change. Knowing that my child flourishes in routine, familiarity I myself am apprehensive.

But what I love most about my son is that he radiates joy. Everything he does he does with a happy heart. So, I know, I take comfort, that he will emerge from this coming year a richer version of the little boy I already know.



I asked him last night how was his last day as a 4 year old and he said "Perfect!" All I could think was the last five years have been just perfect. I continue to thank the Lord everyday for blessing us with this precious little soul.

Happy Birthday my little love!!

lovemon

8 comments:

Ryzmomplus2 said...

What a great post! Your son is adorable and I love how you notice all the changes in those 5 years! I lost my son at 5 and know how amazing they are at that age!

Leora said...

Happy Birthday Garrett!!!!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday to your boy!!

Unknown said...

Happy Birthday to your big 5 year old! It all goes by so fast.

Fun Mama - Deanna said...

Happy birthday to Garrett. My friends who have older children have said that age 5 is really the last year that they are babies - kindergarten, anyway. Enjoy this day!

Becky said...

I hope he has a wonderful birthday! Enjoy each and every day of the journey!

Melanie said...

He is so adorable. Happy birthday to the fine young boy.

thekreativelife said...

Hope Garrett had a good time on his fabulous fifth! They just grow so stinking FAST! He is such a cutie pie!