Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Praying For Grace

Exhausted last night from my anxiety I went to sleep early with a pretty good feel for the outcome of the election.

I awoke in the middle of the night to confirm that Obama is our President Elect and the House & Senate are now controlled by the Democratic Party.

With a solid win by President Elect Obama I can now put to rest my anxieties of delayed outcome. However, my anxieties for our nation will stay with me.

In his acceptance speech President Elect Obama quoted Lincoln "We are not enemies but friends though passion may have strained it must not break our bonds of affection" in a call for unity.

Senator McCain conceded the election with grace, commended President Elect Obama for inspiring a nation and asked his supporters to work with the President Elect. Both candidates attempted to set the tone of unifying and working together for the benefit of this nation. I pray that our nation listens.

Yesterday was a historic day and it was truly amazing to watch our government in action in the hands of the people of this nation. This is a great nation where we are able to express ourselves with our vote even if the outcome we desire does not come to pass. The ability to have a voice is a gift that many around the world are denied. The privilege of voting is a beautiful thing.

This election was never about race for me but about policy. However, I am taking pause to marvel at the first African American President Elect of the United States and the accomplishment that this is.

As I did yesterday, today I pray for the grace that our nation is going to need in these upcoming uncertain times.

lovemon

No comments: