Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Keeping Me Awake

Today will be a historic day.

The weight of today is keeping me awake. I've been tossing & turning since midnight and at 4AM I layed there wide awake for 1/2 an hour. It's now 5:30 and I've pulled out my voter registration card, looked up my precinct opening time, visited a few news websites and have found my way here.

I am extremely anxious about voting this morning. But truly, the source of my anxiety lies not with my vote but with millions of others. It is predicted that voter turnout this election may surpass the record turnout of 64% in 1960.

Today will be a historic day.

It is very likely that we will not have an outcome tonight. It is predicted that early voting will comprise 30% of the total vote this year. In an election that I believe will be closer than some think the early vote may play a significant role and if precincts are not prepared to count those today it is likely we will not have an outcome tonight.

The government is preparing to combat voter fraud that was alleged in both the 2000 & 2004 election. Couple that anticipation with an electoral system that is not prepared for record turnout and I believe today will mark the beginning of weeks of chaos.

I have been disappointed in my world around me. I have witnessed stealing and vandalism of signs in front of people's homes. I have overheard conversations that are making this election about race instead of policy.

No matter which ticket moves into the White House history will be made. However, the nation is extremely divided and I fear if there is not resolution quickly the divide will run deeper and bring severe consequence.

Today will be a historic day.

No matter the victor, the outcome of today will leave the nation in turmoil. Both tickets have extreme supporters and I pray that if disappointed they will not act out. I am scared that there may be civil disobedience in some divided states and pray it doesn't come to this. However, I am also scared of some of the policies we may be faced with soon and pray for my son's future.

I am not here today to make a plea for a candidate, that is a personal choice.

However, I am here to share my anxiety for our nation and hope you join me in praying for the grace that will be needed after today.

This is keeping me awake on November 4, 2008.

Edited: I cast the first ballot for Precinct 1802 this historic day.

lovemon

No comments: